Just like your personal health, your online brand could use some refreshing in 2013. You’ve probably put a lot of work into building and polishing your online brand, but like most things, your online brand is a work in progress and never really “completed.” Follow these five simple steps to update your online brand for the New Year:
- Go through your profiles with a fine-toothed comb: Nobody is perfect, so there might be a minor error on your blog or one of your social media profiles. By carefully going through everything, you will easily spot that tiny grammar or spelling error and correct it.
- Update outdated information: Do you have a new email address or cell phone number? Have you changed jobs or gained new job duties? While going through your profiles, be sure to update all of that information.
- Change your profile picture: Refresh the look of your online brand by using a new profile picture. Remember, be consistent and use the same profile picture across all of your professional blog and social media platforms.
- Ask for new recommendations or endorsements: When was your last LinkedIn recommendation or endorsement? If it’s been more than a year, it’s time to get a new one. Ask your network to endorse your skills or to write a recommendation.
- Find and adopt a new strategy: Changing up your strategy is a great way to reenergize your online presence. Do you post on LinkedIn every other day during the afternoon? Try switching it to mornings. Do you retweet certain accounts? Try reaching out to new people on Twitter. Minor tweaks like these can help you find a new audience and broaden your messages’ reach.
The New Year is a great time to revamp many aspects of your personal and professional life, so while you’re eating better and working out more, breathe new life into your online brand in 2013.