As Thanksgiving kicks off the holiday season, people everywhere get a little bit cheerier, smile a little bit brighter, their hearts grow three sizes– you know the warm-and-fuzzies that come after a holiday dedicated to counting your blessings. What are you thankful for most this Thanksgiving? Friends and family? Health and good fortune? A successful career?
For many hard-working members of society, their profession, company, etc. are included in their list of blessings that they are grateful for. People identify many things they are thankful for in their job, be it wonderful coworkers, the new flavors for the Keurig machine, or even to have a job at all.
So what are employees MOST thankful for? Anna Erickson wrote a great blog article answering this very question. So if you’re grateful to be trusted with a new project, or you’re simply happy your cube neighbor has kicked their habit of tapping their pencil on their desk every five minutes, ’tis the season to count your blessings! What are you thankful for?
5 Things Your Employees Are Thankful For
If you ask people why they work, they will probably mention money as the primary reason. But if you ask people what they like best about their jobs, money usually doesn’t top the list. Work brings so much more to people’s lives. Over the past 25 years, Questar has asked millions of employees what they like best about their job.
Most employees mention the intangibles. Coworkers. Company culture/products/image. The job itself and/or the contributions made. Here are the top things employees mention with a few sample employee comments.
Coworkers. Across companies and industries, employees love their coworkers. In fact, for many people coworkers are what motivates them to come to work each day. Coworkers are often described as friendly, supportive – like a second family. Coworkers are also a source of pride and respect, being described as professional, cutting edge, hardworking, and talented. Employee comments include:
- I’m proud to work with such a talented group of hard-working people. I am challenged day in and day out.
- This place is like a home away from home. I actually miss work when I am not here. I love the department, people and the opportunities that this company presents to me.
- I am especially proud of the professionalism exhibited by many of my colleagues. It has been a pleasure and delight working with such a remarkable pool of talented individuals and it shows in our work.
- The people I work with are by far the best part of working for this company. The group of people I work with are motivated, smart, open-minded, and just great to work with every day.
- I love the people I work with, and the collaborative way we approach our work.
- I especially enjoy working with top notch colleagues who are without exception committed to high standards of performance.
- My co-workers make it all worthwhile at the end of the day. I love the teamwork we share and the results we achieve.
Company Culture.Employees often mention company culture or work environment as what they like best about work. The attributes they list, of course, differ from company to company, but often include information about pace of the work, standards for quality, and company values. Employers may be described as fun, relaxed, supportive and friendly. Others are described as respectful, ethical, and valuing equality. Fast paced, challenging, and energizing are also favorite adjectives.
- You never know what each day will bring in terms of our work. So the variety of circumstances under which we have to perform our jobs changes. It makes the job very interesting, keeps it fresh.
- I enjoy this company’s positive work environment with friendly people and a professional atmosphere.
- I like the casualness of the organization and how everyone is open yet professional.
- I enjoy working for a company that is focused on team member value and culture.
- This company has an amazing culture that values different people and encourages fun. Even with a demanding workload, the culture of the company and the environment that creates makes the difficulties easier to bear
- I like working for a company that values diversity and is strong ethically. This company is well balanced and does all it can to help in areas that need corporate help in our country.
Company Image.Employees love to be proud of their company. And the image of the company is very important for many employees. People often mention their company’s reputation as one of the things they like best about their job.
- I feel fortunate to work for a company that is so successful yet also so civic minded. I am proud of this company and of my part in it. I wouldn’t want to work anywhere else.
- There’s a sense of pride being associated with this company and knowing that my contribution is going towards maintaining and building a sterling reputation nearly a century old.
- I am extremely proud to tell people I meet that I work for this company.
- It is wonderful working for a company that takes its brand so seriously. I have a sense of pride associated with my employment here.
- I am so proud to work for a company that is widely known to be one of the best companies to work for! I feel nothing but pride when I let my family/friends know who I work for.
The Job Itself. Employees thrive when they are using their skills and contributing to the company. Employees often talk about the specific qualities of the job itself when asked what they like best. Variety, challenge, freedom to make decisions, alignment with the organization’s strategy and contribution to something bigger are often mentioned as reasons for loving their job. Employees frequently describe the work itself as challenging, dynamic, and fun.
- What I like best is the ability to use my talents and skills to get the job done without being second guessed.
- Everyday is different so everyday brings new challenges. Love my team and my Manager.
- I like the fact that I feel like I contribute to the importance of the business.
- My work is challenging, and I take pride in the fact that I’m making a difference in how people see the world.
- I like the constant challenge and changes to my role, it keeps it interesting and mentally stimulating for me.
Perks.Yup. It turns out those little extras actually are appreciated by employees – especially if they’re something that their friends and relatives aren’t receiving. Workplace flexibility is often mentioned. But benefits including tuition reimbursement, PTO days, chances to volunteer, and even their 401k match.
- This company offers such a great benefits package, flexible hours and working with educated professionals.
- I like that our company offers great perks and most importantly our volunteer days. I love volunteering every year and am proud that we’re making a difference in the community.
- I appreciate the support I receive from my boss and the company. Working from home once a week has made a big difference in my fuel bill and my sanity.